Sunday, January 9, 2011

#%?! in #%?! out

There is a not so polite but common saying in the recording industry. #%?! in #%?! out. If the music you are recording is well written and played by good musicians chances are you'll have a quality product when your finished. If you have poorly written material and the musicians are either hung over from last nights gig or just not that good, things probably won't end well. What goes in really matters. There is a lot that an engineer can do to "fix" a performance but there is nothing better than having good song and a good band to start with.

As I go through this year trying to carefully consume I intend to really pay attention to what goes in. I want to pay attention and choose more wisely everything I ingest from the sounds I hear, to the food I eat, to the things I need to buy.

It's been one week since Caron and I have started our self imposed sanctions and I have to say it's been kind of fun. Turning off the TV has been very interesting. I've actually slept when I was tired. I had a moment where I looked at the couch and wasn't sure what to do with it when the TV was turned off. My position at the Dinner table now faces Caron. I've read and started projects that I've wanted to do for years.

Rather than ingesting 30 hours of television, I've taken in rest, looked at my wife across the table and engaged in some things I really enjoy but never had time for. I suspect that things will mellow and become more subtle as I get adjusted but it's a good start. Now that I'm putting in some healthier things it will interesting to see what comes out the other end.

No comments:

Post a Comment