Tuesday, January 18, 2011

You can't always get what you want?

How many people can say that they have a spare set of Shimano cleat adapters for cycling shoes? How about an extra tremolo arm for a G&L tremolo or a spare Univibe chorus pedal. Up until a week ago I would have confidently told you that I used to have a Univibe but I sold it several years ago. I lost my G&L tremolo arm one night at a club when I went a little too Jimi Hendrix on my guitar and why would I have a pair of Shimano cleat adapters? I don't even ride Shimano pedals.

What these items are doesn't really matter. The scary thing is I owned all of them without even knowing it. Since I'm trying to not spend frivolously I've been looking for stuff that will get me by and I keep finding things. I at least remember owning the tremolo arm and the chorus pedal once upon a time. I never expected to find them while looking for spare parts but finding the cleat adapters was a little weird.

Caron and I recently started doing some spinning classes at one of the local gyms (we got free memberships because of a local cycling team I manage and race for). Rather than use tennis shoes I wanted to use some old cycling shoes, but the type of cleat I needed didn't fit without an adapter. I started rummaging through the garage looking for solutions and within ten minutes I was holding a brand new pair of cleat adapters still in the bag. I have no idea when or why I purchased them. I was glad to find them but it was a little embarrassing. I clearly wasn't paying much attention when I made that purchase.

1 comment:

  1. It's amazing what you find in your closet. I'm really enjoying going through all my crap and asking myself the question, "Do you really want that?" Mostly, the answer is no.

    ReplyDelete