Tuesday, January 11, 2011

One week of careful consuming

So it has been a week since I started this experiment. And I must say it has been a week with some experiences I didn't expect. Sleeping more being one of them. I didn't know I was that tired. I was sleeping over 10 hours the first few few nights! The TV was distracting me from how tired I was. I also found myself resting which is something I don't do much. I have really enjoyed that along with the silence.

I thought the weekend would be difficult, not eating out, having more time to fill, etc., but it wasn't at all. In fact, I invited my Mom over for lunch, went to the library, napped, read, meditated, exercised and cooked soup. It was a very relaxing weekend.

But the most interesting thing was how aware I was of what I was doing. I am feeling more deliberate in my actions, choices and behaviors. That sounds strange but it's true.

Another interesting turn of events has been getting things I need without spending money. I was offered free tickets to a basketball game, lunch, and got some money in the mail from a friend who owed it to me from fall of last year. Now I can buy some new tennis shoes I really need. I wasn't sure how I was going to swing that but problem solved.

The grocery was a challenge. I spent $115.00 but still had to go to a wholesale store. After doing a return and using a gift card, I still ended up $8.00 over my budget. I didn't feel too bad though considering I hadn't been to the store since before Christmas and I bought some stuff that will last all month. Hopefully, I can stick to the budget next time. I will have to set a budget for toiletries, cleaning & pet supplies, however. These will be an additional expense from the $125.00 for food.

So its been a good first week. I'm not missing anything. I don't feel deprived. I've got some energy to do some things I've want to do and look forward to coming home after work and doing them. I feel calmer, more attentative and definitely more awake! Humm, there might be something to this.

2 comments:

  1. Happy week one! I'm traveling tomorrow but feel relieved ther I don't have to be too careful as I have a per diem from work. I had a business meeting last night over dinner--sushi!!! I spent 12 including a generous tip. I thought that was pretty good considering how much I love sushi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope your trip was good and you enjoyed your per diem. That is good for sushi. I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete